Which of the following are pairs of mutually exclusive events in the drawing of one card from a standard deck of 52?.
- A heart and a queen.
- A club and a red card.
- An even number and a spade.
- An ace and an even number.
Which of the following are mutually exclusive outcomes in the rolling of two dice?
- A total of 5 points and a 5 on one die.
- A total of 7 points and an even number of points on both dice.
- A total of 8 points and an odd number of points on both dice.
- A total of 9 points and a 2 on one die.
- A total of 10 points and a 4 on one die.
In a recent meeting of union members supporting Joe Royal for union president, Royal's leading supporting said ''chances are good'' that Royal will defeat the single opponent facing him in the election.
- What are the “events” that could take place with regard to the election?
- Is your list collectively exhaustive? Are the events in your list mutually exclusive?
- Disregarding the supporter’s comments and knowing no additional information, what probabilities would you assign to each of your events?
Union shop steward B. Lou Khollar has drafted a set of wage and benefit demands to be presented to management. To get an idea of worker support for the package, he randomly polls the two largest groups of workers at his plant, the machinists and the inspectors. He polls 30 of each group with the following results.
Contact us for the solution