Vilander Carecenters Inc. provides financing and capital to the healthcare industry, with a particular focus on nursing homes for the elderly. the following selected transactions relate to bonds acquired as an invenstment by Vilander, whose fiscal year ends on December 31.
|Jan. 1||Purchased at face value $2,000,000 of Javier Nursing Centers, Inc., 10-year, 8% bonds dated January 1, 2018, directly from Javier.|
|Dec. 31||Accrual of interest at year-end on the Javier bonds|
(Assume that all intervening transactions and adjustments have been properly recorded and hat the number of bonds owned has not charged from December 31, 2018, to December 31, 2020.)
|Jan. 1||Received the annual interest on the Javier bonds|
|Jan. 1||Sold $1,000,000 Javier bonds at 106.|
|Dec. 31||Accrual of interest at year-end on the Javier bonds|
- Journalize the listed transactions for the years 2018 and 2021
- Assume that the fair value of the bonds at December 31, 2018, was $2,200,000. These bonds are classified as available for sale securities. Prepare the adjusting entry to record these bonds at fair value.
- Based on your analysis in part(b), show the balance sheet presentation of the bonds and interest receivable at December 31, 2018. Assume the investments are considered long-term. Indicate where any unrealized gain or loss is reported in the financial statements
In January 2020, the management of Kinzie Company concludes that it has sufficient cash to permit some short-term investments in debt and stock securities. During the year, the following transactions occurred.
|Feb. 1||Purchased 600 shares of Muninger common stock for $32,400|
|Mar. 1||Purchased 800 shares of Tatman common stock for $32,400|
|Apr. 1||Purchased 50 $1,000, 7% Yoakem bonds for $50,000. Interest is payable semiannually on April 1 and October 1.|
|July 1||Received a cash dividend of $0.60 per share on the Muninger common stock|
|Aug. 1||Sold 200 shares of Muninger common stock at $58 per share.|
|Sept.r. 1||Received a $1 per share cash dividend on the Tatman common stock.|
|Oct. 1||Received the semiannual interest on the Yoakem bonds.|
|Oct. 1||Sold the Yoakem bonds for $49,000.|
At December 31, the fair value of the Munnger common stock was $55 per share. The fair value of the Tatman common stock was $24 per share
- Journalize the transactions and post to the accounts Debt Investments and Stock Investments. (Use T-Accounts form.)
- Prepare the adjusting entry at December 31, 2020, to report the investment securities at fair value. All securities are considered to be trading securities.
- Show the balance sheet presentation of investment securities at December 31, 2020
- Identify the income statement accounts and give the statement classification of each account.
On December 31, 2020, Turnball Associates owned the following securities held as a long-term investment. The securities are not held for influence or control of the investee.
On December 31, 2020, the total fair value of the securities was equal to its cost. In 2021, the following transactions occurred.
|Aug. 1||Received $0.50 per share cash dividend on Gehring Co. common stock|
|Sept. 1||Sold 1,500 shares of Wooderson Co. common stock for cash at $8 per share|
|Oct. 1||Sold 800 shares of Gehring Co. common stock for cash at 433 per share|
|Nov. 1||Received $1 per share cash dividend on Kitselton Co. common stock|
|Dec. 15||Received $0.50 per share cash dividend on Gehring co. Common Stock|
|31||Received $1 per share annual cash dividend on Wooderson Co. Common Stock.|
At December 31, the fair value per share of the common stocks were Gehring Co. $32, Wooderson Co. $8, and Kitselton Co. $18
- Journalize the 2021 transactions and post to the account Stock Investments. (Use T-Account form.)
- Prepare the adjusting entry at December 31, 2021, to show the securities at fair value. The stock should be classified as available-for-sale securities..
- Show the balance sheet presentation of investment securities at December 31, 2021. At this date, Turnball Associates has common stock $1,500,000 and retained earnings $1,000,000.
Heldebrecht Design acquired 20% of the outstanding common stock of Quayle Company on January 1, 2020, by paying $800,000 for the 30,000 shares. Qusyle declared and paid $0.30 per share cash dividends on March 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15, 2020. Quayle reported net income of $320,000 for the year. At December 31, 20200, the market price of Quayle common stock was $34 per share
- Prepare the journal entries for Heidebrecht Design for 2020 assuming Heidebrecht Design cannot exercise significant influence over Quayle. (Use the cost method and assume that Quayle common stock should be classified as a trading security.)
- Prepare the journal entries for Heidebrecht Design for 2020 assuming Heidebrecht Design cannot exercise significant influence over Quayle. (Use the equity method)
- Indicate the balance sheet and income statement account balances at December 31, 2020, under each method of accounting.
The following securities are in Frederick Company's portfolio of long-term available-for-sale securities at December 31, 2021.
|1,000 shares of Willihite Corporation common stock||$52,000|
|1,400 shares of Hutcherson Corporation common stock||84,000|
|1,200 shares of Downing Corporation preferred stock||33,000|
On December 31, 2021, the total cost of the portfolio equaled total fair value Frederick had the following transactions related to the securities during 2022.
|Jan. 20||Sold all 1,000 shares of Willhite Corporation common stock at $55 per share.|
|28||Purchased 400 shares of $70 par value common stock of Liggett Corporation at $78 per share|
|30||Received a cash dividend of $1.15 per share of Hutcherson Corp. common stock.|
|Feb. 8||Received a cash dividend of $0.40 per share on Downing Corp. preferred stock..|
|18||Sell all 1.200 shares of Downing corp. preferred stock at $27 per share.|
|July 30||Received cash dividend of $1 per share on Hutcherson Corp. Common Stock.|
|Sept. 6||Purchased an additional 900 shares of $10 par value common stock of Liggett Corporation at $82 per share.|
|Dec. 1||Received a cash dividend of $1.50 per share on Liggett Corporation Common Stock.|
At December 31, 2022 the fair value of the securities were.
|Hutcherson Corporation common stock||$64 per share|
|Liggett Corporation common stock||$72 per share|
- Prepare journal entries to record the transactions.
- Post to the investment accounts. (Use T-accounts.)
- Prepare the adjusting entry at December 31, 2022 to report the portfolio at fair value.
- Show the balance sheet presentation at December 31, 2022, for the investment-related accounts
The following data, presented in alphabetical order, are taken from the records of Nieto Corporation.
|Allowance for doubtful accounts||6,000|
|Bonds payable(10%, due 2030)||500,000|
|Common stock ($10 par value; 500,000 shares authorized, 150000 shares issued)||1,500,000|
|Fair value adjustment-available-for-sale securities (Dr.)||8,000|
|Income taxes payable||120,000|
|Investment in Mara common stock (30% ownership), at equity||380,000|
|Investment in Sasse common stock (10% ownership), at cost||278,000|
|Notes payable (due 2023)||70,000|
|Paid-in-capital in excess of par-common stock||130,000|
|Premium on bonds payable||40,000|
|Short-term investments, at fair value (and cost)||180,000|
|Unrealized gain-available-for-sale securities||8,000|
The investment in Sasse common stock is considered to be a long-term available-for-sale security.
Prepare a classified balance sheet at December 31, 2022
Jenek Corporation had the following transactions pertaining to debt investments
- Purchased 50 9%, $1,000 Leeds Co.bonds for $50,000 cash. Interest is payable annually on January 1, 2020.
- Accrued interest on Leeds Co. bonds on December 31, 2020.
- Received interest on Leads Co. bonds on January 1, 2021.
- Sold 30 Leeds Co. bonds for $33,000 on January 1, 2021.
Journalize the transactions.
Flynn Company purchased 70 Rinehart Company 6%, 10- year, $1,000 bonds on January 1, 2020, for $70,000. The bonds pay interest annually on January 1. On January 1, 2021, after receipt of interest, Flynn Company sold 40 of the bonds for $38,500.
Prepare the journal entries to record the transactions described above.
Hulse Company had the following transactions pertaining to stock investments.
|Feb. 1||Purchased 600 shares of Wade common stock (2%) for $7,200 cash|
|July 1||Received a cash dividend of $1 per share on Wade common stock.|
|Sept. 1||Sold 300 shares of Wade common stock for $4,300 cash.|
|Dec. 1||Received a cash dividend of $1 per share on Wade common stock.|
- Journalize the transactions.
- Explain how dividend revenue and the gain (loss) on sale should be reported in the income statement
Nosker Inc. had the following transactions pertaining to investments in common stock.
|Jan. 1||Purchased 2,500 shares of Escalante Corporation common stock (5%) for $152,000 cash|
|July 1||Received a cash dividend of $3 per share.|
|Dec. 1||Sold 500 shares of Escalante Corporation common stock for $32,000 cash.|
|Dec. 31||Received a cash dividend of $3 per share.|
Journalize the transactions.